Wednesday, February 08, 2006

cooking for 1

i am getting used to cooking for one. for the past several years there was always someone to cook for... my sister, my brother in law, my friends who sleep over, my ex...

these days it's just me, and although i can argueably say that sometimes i eat enough for two, generally i just cook for one.

it takes a lot of adjusting. this morning i tried cooking about 3 tablespoons of rice (half a rice cooker cup) for my lunch. i burst out laughing when i looked into the rice cooker. there, at the bottom of the pan, was half an inch of cooked rice. the lot looked lonely. but i was surprised that they actually filled my lunch box. it appealed somewhat to my twisted sense of order--imagine 3 tablespoons of uncooked rice is to one lunch box of cooked rice!

there are rules to follow in cooking for one, i suppose. halve recipes for two, think in terms of teaspoons and tablespoons instead of cups, buy tiny versions of onions and garlic and other vegetables, never ever buy by the kilo, etc. etc. etc.

i have this niggling feeling that soon i'll be feeling bereft eating by myself. but it's not happening just yet. right now i guess i'm just enjoying cooking for one. a party of one.

3 comments:

  1. I've only ever really cooked for one. :) It's fun! Besides, if I try cooking for more, I end up with too much or too little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I order take out. I'm alone in the apartment and my wife and Baby Jo-Lo are in Baguio. I always seem to cook too many rice for one thing which ends up as molds experiment in the ref. Sayang lang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe. nangyayari din sa kin yan. i guess you just have to get the hang of it. i'm a little tired of take out food.

    ReplyDelete