Tuesday, December 21, 2004

playing teacher

last week i started training the new hires for the project. there are seven of them and i'm thankful they're quick studies.

this would be a first for me. the only experience i have ever had which involved me training people was during my law school days when i had to teach basic volleyball to my team mates, and a short stint getting somebody's team ready for a game.

volleyball is easy. the basics are there, and most of the time, the players have the necessary skill and mind set. thus, even if i can only teach them so much (i was never great at volleyball. zero focus and disclipline), i had something to work with, and so did they.

the training i'm handling now is a different matter. if they cannot grasp the concept, i have to come up with ways and means to make sure they get it. they had already hurdled the first obstacle - getting hired. so it would be up to me to get them through the next step.

it's exhausting, and most of the time i feel like i'm grasping at straws, trying to make myself understood. hindi kasi ako teacher talaga. what may sound perfectly logical to me may sound greek to them. plus, i never really had training myself. i am merely teaching them what i learned along the way,

it's been 5 days since they started training. so far there's been progress, and i'm proud of them. i call them my kids, though some are older than i.

i only hope i don't let them down. and vice versa.


No comments:

Post a Comment