Monday, April 28, 2003

so i finally graduated. a week before graduation i went and had my dress made. i got it yesterday morning and i couldn't help smiling. it was what my niece jeanoelle used to call a pwincess dress.

a pwincess dress needed a nice pair of shoes. off to the mall we went. tried around 4 pairs till we eventually settled on a strappy thing. we rushed around the mall because graduation assembly was supposed to be in an hour and my hair was nowhere near fixed. a parlor seemed like a good option. but the idiots at the parlor we went to didn't seem to understand what being in a hurry was. they made me wait for 10 minutes. with less than an hour to go before graduation, patience was a luxury i could ill afford.

my sister and i rushed home, with her boyfriend doing the driving. 30 minutes and counting. i washed up and squeezed into my dress. my sister started fixing my hair. and with no blowdryer on hand it was almost impossible to get my hair into some semblance of order. but a semblance of order was achieved. my sister is a miracle worker. she did my make-up in 10 minutes. at 3 o clock (assembly time) i wore my contacts and nearly cried my eyes out. mascara bits had blown into my eyes and wearing the contact lenses triggered the tears. ah but the show must go on.

wore my shoes in the car and headed to the assembly area. graduation.

got my souvenir program and experienced a moment of panic. my name was not on the list damn! i rushed for nothing! but then it turned out that i was listed on another page. sigh of relief.

sigh. it was hot, my make up was hot, my dress was hot but it was graduation. the euphoria was still there. until i started to feel my feet slowly dying from pain.

nice shoes. sexy shoes. but wearing them was torture. it took every ounce of self control to not take my shoes off and just walk barefoot.

when our college was called, we stood and enjoyed our 5 seconds of fame. it was the university graduation after all. we shouted, we waved, then sat back down.

it felt good. i sat there, contemplating my painful feet, the warm weather, the long dress i had to wear, the french twist my hair was in, the hairpins poking my head, the souvenir program and my moment of panic, my almost foiled graduation.... and i thought, "today is a good day." and it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment